Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    Then send the drivers to GPA and forget about it. DONE...
    In the OP's case he's dealing with a single HF element in a pair of 604E's. If the other HF diaphragm is good, and the woofer cones and coils are working properly, then the packing/shipping expense for a pair of alnico 604's both ways to GPA alone may well exceed the point of diminishing returns for him.

    If the OP was able to safely unpack and load the 604's into cabinets, he can probably change a diaphragm and install new leads between the cover and diaphragm successfully.

    I cannot argue that having the job done by GPA along with a thorough testing and inspection would be ideal, but in this case, especially if the 604's have been well preserved and not abused, the expense might not be warranted.

    Just my .02................
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    ...If the OP was able to safely unpack and load the 604's into cabinets, he can probably change a diaphragm and install new leads between the cover and diaphragm successfully....
    Yep, there's no indication of need for anything else.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member chinacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    I'm not adverse to the idea of trying to replace the 'phragm myself. I'm a computer tape drive tech and also restored/modified a 35mm film projector for my home screening room. How much are the replacements and where'n the heck do I order them? Thanks again! John

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    Hey chinacat,

    You need to contact Bill @ GPA. Calling will net you better than emailing them.

    I think diaphragms are $95.00 Ea last time I checked.


    Give Bill @ GPA a call they are great to talk to.....



    -chris

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat View Post
    restored/modified a 35mm film projector for my home screening room.
    Impressive! What kind?

    If you can do that, you can change the 'phrams. =)

  6. #16
    Inactive Member chinacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    The 35mm is one of these:http://members.chello.nl/a.wichmann/devryxd28.jpg A ca. 1955 Devry Model XD. They were originally made for the Navy and then were sold to theaters and last a lifetime when oiled/cleaned. The above link shows one with reel arms that hold 2000ft (20 minute) reels. I converted mine to do about 90 mins of film on large reels. I also installed a 500w Xenon lamphouse and stereo solar cell. It puts out one helluva picture and puts the local multiplex theaters to shame. BluRay discs haven't caught up with 35mm quality yet (close but not yet).

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    Sweet! I have never seen one of those. Mostly I've run the typical Christie, Simplex, Cinemeccanica, Phillips and the like. Looks like you've got a nice rig there. Kudos on the upgrades. You put on 6K reels? That's the way to go.

    Real home theater!

  8. #18
    Inactive Member chinacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I went ahead and ordered a diaphragm and am going to attempt to install it. I don't think it's anything I can't handle. John

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    You'll do just fine. Easy as cake!

  10. #20
    Inactive Member chinacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604E Blown Horn Diaphragm?

    The diaphragm was installed in 5 minutes and I'm VERY happy with the sound. Almost as easy as changing a lightbulb!---John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.